CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 19, 2010

A hard habit to break

My Sweet first born son has been a wonderful sleeper since he was 10 weeks old. He was so easy, he knew how to self sooth and I thought I had it made. However now that he is almost three, his little self soothing device a.k.a sucking his two middle fingers has become real annoying. Also after his first dentist appointment we know that its not good for his teeth. SOOOOO I came across this picture
Is that not the coolest thing you have ever seen? Its a thumb sucking guard. I quickly messaged the lady who made them and asked her if she had any for finger suckers. She said she had never made one but was up for the challenge. I picked her super cute sports fabric and she came up with this nifty finger guard.....


Maverick actually really likes it, he thinks it is on because he has a boo boo. She makes them so that they cant get them off by themselves. Very clever. I have him wear it during the day while watching t.v. or playing and it has worked beautifully, however I tried it once at night and it ripped my heart out. I'm not ready I guess to take that from him.... He doesnt really get why he cant have his comfort to go to sleep. So its one step and one day at a time. So far wearing it in the day is working great and we will move to the night soon enough. Please check out all the other really cool things in her Etsy shop, you can get there through her blog which is listed on my side bar, Kidgiddy

4 comments:

KW

Wow! That is pretty cool. I think I might have the same problem later on. Luke won't take a binkie, but he loves sucking on his fingers, any of them, he is not picky about which one yet.

Brittanie

Oh I know how you feel! I started getting these for my thumb sucking daughter when she was 5. Now she's 8 and we still can't break the habit! We even had a $500 device put in her mouth that was supposed to "cure" it....yea right!

Kerry_Kid Giddy

Thanks for posting this! Your picture came out better than mine - I was sad too when my girls would cry at night as they fell asleep. It only lasted a couple of days...but it was heart breaking. Their teeth were really suffering though! You both have to be ready! Good luck! - k

Sheree Thayne

wow! the things people come up with. that was such a good idea to ask her about the "fingers" one. How cool is that?? You're such a good mom!